In honor of National Macaroni Day on July 7th, here's a quick, easy, and healthy version of the classic recipe from Maria Portelos-Rometo Ed.D with the UF Family Nutrition Program
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
1 pound penne pasta
1 ½ cups skim milk
1 pound shredded cheddar cheese (or a mixture of your favorite melting cheeses)
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente.
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Steam the cauliflower until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender along with a few tablespoons of the steaming liquid. Puree the cauliflower, adding more steaming liquid to thin the puree if necessary.
- In a medium size casserole dish, combine the pasta and hot cauliflower puree. Add the milk and both cheeses. Stir
- Place the dish in the oven for about 20 minutes until the top is crispy and the sauce is bubbling.
-large pot for boiling pasta
-1 sharp knife
-1 cutting board
-1-cup measuring cup
- ¼-cup measuring cup
- baking dish