Sarasota Magazine is seeking an intrepid, passionate, sharp-witted journalist for an opening in the position of Associate Editor on our Editorial Team in Sarasota, Florida.
The Associate Editor will join our team to help steer our award-winning digital and print coverage. As a key member of the editorial staff, the associate editor will help shape the tone and content of our website and print issue; underscoring our mission to delight, inform, and challenge readers with every story. The ideal candidate is a reporter first, with a deep curiosity about the people, ideas, issues, places, and industries that keep our region running. The person we’re looking for wants to explore all of the people and cultures that call our fast-changing city home.
Sarasota Magazine is committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom: Applicants of color and minority backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Reporting, editing, and writing digital and print news stories.
- Creating and updating digital service features and lists—everything from best restaurants to neighborhoods guides to top things for kids to do.
- Covering the important real estate, home and design beat
- Bringing a lively, urgent tone to coverage and discover and cultivate sources
- Engaging with readers, colleagues, and industry people on social media and building a vibrant personal voice
- Work with Sarasota Magazine’s editorial team to produce an award-winning magazine, from contributing story ideas and managing story packages to researching and writing narrative features, brainstorming live events, and representing the magazine at media and community functions.
- 2 or more years’ experience in reporting and/or editing for digital or print publications
- Proven ability as a reporter
- Proven ability to conceptualize, write, and edit narrative reported stories
- Ability to seamlessly pivot from an in-depth, reported profile to a 50-word restaurant listing to a breaking news piece
- High comfort level with handling institutional gatekeepers
- Annoyingly high standards for accuracy and quality.
- Firm grounding in journalism ethics and values.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and clips with the subject line “Sarasota—Associate Editor.” No phone calls, please. We will contact you if your skills and experience are a good fit for our team.
About SagaCity Media:
SagaCity Media Inc. is the parent company of the preeminent lifestyle media brands in Houston, Seattle, Portland and Sarasota. In their respective markets, Sarasota Magazine, Houstonia, Seattle Met and Portland Monthly produce the largest-selling magazines, most-visited local lifestyle websites, and industry-dominating numbers of engaged social media followers. SagaCity Media, Inc. is an EEO employer. For more information about us, please click here.
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Writing Skills: 2 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19