Photo: A Sarasota Beach Bathhouse, Circa 1925
The fine, clean beach garb gives us a clue that this bath shack is being used by some well-heeled Sarasotans. The first public bathhouse in the county was built in Venice in 1925. This private one was owned by the Edson Keith family, who were part of the elite Chicagoan clique migrating to Sarasota at the time. The Keiths built what is now known as Phillipi Estate Park in 1916, and Edson Keith’s daughter, Katherine Keith Adler, authored several books and married the architect David Adler, known locally for designing The Field Club. Today, thankfully, we can enjoy the beach with more skin in the sun, but on a hot summer day, the option of retreating to a private shack sounds mighty nice.