The Sarasota/Manatee MPO unveiled its “Transform 2045” Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) at its September board meeting. Transform 2045 is the culmination of more than 20 months of collaboration and community involvement based on technical analysis, community visioning, and public engagement. The results are a list of transportation projects anticipated to be funded through 2045.
The long-range plan identifies more than 100 priority transportation projects, the timeframe for completing those projects, and guides the investment of local, state and federal funds throughout the Sarasota/Manatee region. Plans include a variety of diverse projects, including roundabouts, significant intersections improvements, the development of complete streets, and multimodal corridors that encourage safety and reduce traffic congestion, fixing the most dangerous roads and intersections in the area.
Plan highlights include:
- $1.3 billion for more than 100 individual projects in the two-county region.
- $300 million for multi modal corridor projects to expand the Multi Modal Emphasis Corridor from U.S. 41 to include seven major arterials.
- $75 million for technology projects to better manage traffic congestion, incorporate autonomous vehicle infrastructure, and increase safety on the roadways.
- $75 million for resiliency projects to fix aging bridges, reduce roadway flooding, and protect against severe storms.
- $75 million for safety projects to address the region’s high-crash locations, with the goal of reducing traffic deaths and serious injuries.
- $25 million for bicycle, pedestrian, trails, and transit projects to create new roundabouts, trails and pathways, and fully funded projects that improve walking, biking, and transit.
- More than $200 million for projects on state roads to promote economic diversity, attract high-tech businesses, and enhance connectivity to major commerce centers.