Florida has the second highest level of income inequality in the country, according to a new ranking of states published by the Economic Policy Institute. The ranking is based on the ratio between the earnings of the top 1 percent in each state and the earnings of the other 99 percent. In Florida, the average earning of the top 1 percent is over $1.5 million, according to the Institute, while the average earning of the other 99 percent is just over $39,000. The North Port, Sarasota and Bradenton region ranked No. 12 in a list of the most unequal metropolitan areas in the country; the top 1 percent here earns $1.8 million on average, while the average income of the rest is $42,000. The state of New York was ranked as the most unequal state in the country.
01/06/2023 By Kim Doleatto
09/02/2022 By Staff