Still, in our own backyard there are those weeks where you just smile and say, "Darn good meal!" This was one of them. So, in no particular order, I would like to recap the highlights:
Ode to Owen's Fish Camp.
• Clam chowder and fish n chips at Owen’s Fish Camp. Gosh, I love this place. Go healthy, go wild, go fresh—it is all a fantastic bite and has something for everyone. Unfortunately, I rarely choose the healthy option--therefore, I won’t be tight-roping any time soon like the feat at the Sarasota Film Festival.
Think they followed my eating plan to get up on that tightrope?
• Cream of wild mushroom soup at Morel, with a side of potato latkes and an artistic arugula salad. Every time we dine at Morel (located on Tuttle Avenue), I ask myself, "Why don’t we come here more often?"
• Cauliflower rice at Taste of Asia. I had one order of cauliflower rice and one order of broccoli rice and was in heaven. Although the owner was a bit miffed that I didn’t want any protein, the flavors are ridiculously good on their own and need not one more thing to make these dishes a perfect vegetarian meal--and I wasn’t even trying!
• Sliced stuffed pork at the Asolo's Men Who Cook event-what a good time, and so many terrific dishes by local men who support the Asolo. A stand out was the pork with cider au jus. (And Bob Plunket got ill and couldn’t bring his much-anticipated deviled eggs, so we will have to wait until next year to see if the eggs outdo last year’s infamous Twinkie casserole.)
Taste of summer.
• The grilled hot dogs and hamburgers, coleslaw and sweet potato fries we just ate at home with a slice of watermelon while feeling summer in the air can taste oh-so-good!
What were your best food moments of the week?