When you hear the word “wallpaper,” you may have flashbacks to the ’70s and ’80s. But make no mistake: wallpaper has made a comeback in the past few years with beautiful patterns and textures to accentuate a space. If you’ve been on the fence about trying it, the experts at Trade Mark Interiors encourage you to give it a try.
They suggest starting with a bathroom or home office to see which styles you like best. You don’t need to wallpaper your whole house to get the benefits. Strategically using wallpaper as an accent or a focal point can elevate a space and show off your personal style in a unique way. There are now a lot of options for homeowners to choose from, and picking the right one can be overwhelming.
Tracee Murphy, CEO of Trade Mark Interiors, offered this advice when getting started: “First, think about what kind of mood you are trying to achieve in your space.” In a way similar to color psychology, the kind of wallpaper you use can set the tone. You may be looking for more muted, neutral colors or a bold, eye-catching pattern to use for an accent wall. Or maybe you want a luxurious feel or a more natural tone. The possibilities are endless with the variety of wallpaper available.
Types of Wallpaper
- Grasscloth & natural: This type of wallpaper has a paper backing with a layer of vine, grass, or other natural materials on top. It can be tricky to install, but the result is incredible. Because it is not easy to clean, you should avoid using this type of wallpaper in kids’ rooms and kitchens.
- Vinyl: One of the more popular types of wallpaper for commercial spaces, vinyl has a plastic coating that makes it very easy to clean. This makes it good to use in kitchens and kids’ rooms.
- Paper: Paper wallpaper is a more affordable alternative to vinyl but not as easy to clean.
- Gravure printed: This method was introduced in the 1950s and is a way to print very intricate, detailed patterns on wallpaper.
- Digitally printed: Digitally printed wallpaper allows for high-quality photographic designs with almost unlimited options for what you’d like. If you have a very specific design in mind, this may be the way to go.
Fabric: Textured wallpaper made with different textiles like cotton, silk, felt, and linens add a luxurious feeling to your space. This type of wallpaper can be difficult to install.
- Incorporating nature in interior design is a popular trend for 2022, and wallpaper is no exception with green and blue color patterns.
- Go bold with floral prints and vibrant pops of color.
- Add a unique look with textured wallpaper like canvas, grasscloth, or cork.
- Geometric patterns have been popular for a while, but the trend now is thin lines and wide designs like circles and squares.
- Art deco and vintage prints are classic styles that can make for a great accent wall.
- Show off your favorite travel destinations with a mural.
Trade Mark Interiors is an interior design firm with offices in Sarasota and Cleveland, specializing in new construction and luxury home remodels.