It’s simple to start making small choices that will make your office smarter and more connected. Here are a few tools you can incorporate today that will set you on the path to innovation.
1. August Smart Lock. Keys are such a hassle in the Digital Era. The August Smart Lock allows you to unlock the door to your building with your smartphone. You can create virtual keys for your employees, as well, allowing you to monitor who’s coming and going. Price: $229. See more: August.com
2. Ecobee3 Smart Thermostat. Connected homes have Nest for a smarter, energy-efficient thermostat option. Smart offices go with the Ecobee3. The Ecobee3 and Nest thermostats are similar in that they’re controllable with your smartphone, but the Ecobee3 sets itself apart with the ability to add sensors to rooms that adjust for cold and hot zones, solving the problem of that freezing conference room. Price: $249. See more: Shop.Ecobee.com
3. Nest Cam Outdoor. Where Nest exceeds most other products in price and quality is in its camera options. The weatherproof Nest Cam Outdoor was made for homes, but will work just as well at the office. Get alerts on your phone when there’s activity, and if you miss something, the camera can store up to 30 days of footage in the cloud (at an extra cost). The two-way audio feature lets you communicate with someone on the other end. Also check out the non-weatherproof Nest Cam Indoor for your office interior. Price: $199 for one or $348 for two. (Cloud storage subscriptions range from $100-$300 per year.) See more: Nest.com
4. Philips Hue. Several lighting systems connect to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, but none are as impressive and easy to manage as the Philips Hue system. It’s easy to set up and allows you to control your office lights via your smartphone. The money-saving LED lights, with thousands of colors to choose from, also enhance your office branding or offer accents in certain areas. Price: Starter kits range from $69.99 to $199.99. See more: Meethue.com
5. Logitech Harmony Elite. Once you upgrade your office smart devices, you’re going to want an easy way to control them. The Logitech Harmony Elite offers one remote to rule them all. It works with more than 270,000 connected devices, including lights, locks, cameras and thermostats. Price: $349. See more: Logitech.com