A new study published by the Economic Policy Institute ranks Florida as No. 5 in the nation for income inequality, with the top 1 percent of earners on average receiving 34.7 times the average of the other 99 percent and taking home 25.6 percent of all income. Sarasota County ranked as the 33rd most unequal county in the nation, with the top 1 percent earning 40.1 times as much as the rest of the population. Manatee County ranked No. 137 out 3,064 counties. The North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton metropolitan area ranked No. 16 out of 916 in a list of the most unequal regions.
01/06/2023 By Kim Doleatto
09/02/2022 By Staff