Dr. Priya Mathews
Cataract & Lens Replacement, LASIK and Corneal Surgeon
The young Priya Mathews eagerly started medical school at Johns Hopkins University imagining that she would become a pediatrician. However, after observing the beautiful intricacy of cataract surgery and the happiness that resulted for both the patient and surgeon alike, her focus shifted to ophthalmology. She was fascinated with how eye surgeons use both their hands and feet to perform microsurgery within an area less than a centimeter wide. She proceeded to complete her ophthalmology training at Columbia University, and then returned to Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute for her Cornea and Refractive Surgery Fellowship. Now, Dr. Priya Mathews is a board-certified cataract, refractive and corneal surgeon.
Dr. Mathews’ mission is to ensure every patient’s surgical plan is customized to meet their goals after surgery. Patients regularly express the desire to see their grandchildren’s faces, read, drive with confidence, and practice hobbies. She believes that patients should not stop doing the things they love because of decreased vision. Additionally, Dr. Matthews loves the impact that LASIK has on younger patients, allowing them the freedom to enjoy life glasses-free.
Attaining a work-life balance is important for Dr. Mathews and her husband, Dr. Joaquin De Rojas, also an ophthalmologist at Center For Sight. This surgical power couple is successfully raising two young children while balancing full patient schedules, speaking engagements, scientific research studies, surgical mission trips around the world and more. Dr. Mathews is passionate about raising awareness about corneal blindness and has recently started a nonprofit organization called Keratoplasty Alliance International. She is a certified Vinyasa and Hatha yoga instructor, and believes in physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being in order to achieve one’s full potential.
- As one of the nation’s leading multi-disciplinary physician groups, Center For Sight provides ophthalmology, optometry, dermatology, audiology and aesthetic services.
- Center For Sight is part of US Eye, a patient-centric, physician-led network of premium eye care practices.
- US Eye is comprised of 63 locations across the Southeastern United States, over 100 providers and over 1,000 staff members.
- Locally, Center For Sight has 16 convenient locations in Southwest Florida.
- Center For Sight was recognized by Johnson & Johnson as the #1 Implanter of Advanced Lenses for cataract surgery.
2601 S. Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34239