The mission of Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe is to produce professional theatre that promotes and celebrates African American history and experience, engages a broad base of patrons and audiences, supports the development of a dynamic group of aspiring artists and builds self-esteem in youth of color.
Meet Three of WBTT's Women of Influence.
Debra Flynt-Garrett, Development Director “In 2009 I was looking for a job when I learned that Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe needed assistance. This job has changed my life forever. What I do is not work, it is a daily affirmation that there is goodness and joy in the world around me, and WBTT helps create it.”
Doris Johnson, Chair, Board of Trustees “I was honored to be asked to join the WBTT Board of Trustees in 2015. The following year I began chairing the Heart & Soul Capital Campaign, which widened my understanding of how to conduct a major fundraiser. In 2020 I was called to serve as board chair. I am fortunate to lead a prestigious, passionate and dedicated team of nonprofit board members.”
Julie Leach, Executive Director “I never expected to be part of the leadership team of a theatre company when I became WBTT’s executive director in 2015 after serving as chairman of the board for five years. But it has been a great fit for my CPA, finance and management experience, including my work running a church education program. The other thing I didn’t expect is how much joy it would bring me.”
- Established in 1999 by founder and artistic director Nate Jacobs.
- One of only three professional Black theatre companies in Florida.
- Mentors many African American youth through participation in WBTT productions.
- Experienced tremendous growth in two decades, from a grassroots organization to a successful professional theatre with a five-show season.
- Will launch its 2021-2022 season in October with the theme, “And Still We Rise.” Productions range from Black Broadway classics to original plays and musicals.
Westcoast Black Theater Troupe
1012 N. Orange Ave., Sarasota, FL 34236