Florida Studio Theatre (FST) is proud to present The Suffragist Project, an artistic celebration of the upcoming 100th Anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment (August 20, 2020), the woman’s right to vote. Bringing together over 30 organizations, this bi-county artistic commemoration will feature plays, dance performances, art exhibits, lectures, panel discussions, and in-school educational offerings, all in recognition of this monumental milestone under the direction of Kate Alexander. FST will commission four new works by national playwrights, and will also create Dangerous Ladies, an original theatrical presentation featuring the finest theatrical material generated through the project.
This presentation will then tour local schools, encouraging local students to write their own plays inspired by suffrage. Partnering organizations include ABC7, Akins Marketing & Design, American Association of University Women, Art Ovation Hotel, Booker High School Law Academy, Bookstore1Sarasota, Brandeis National Committee, Dancing in The Moment, Democratic Women’s Club, Eileen Fisher, Embracing Our Differences, Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Florida Maritime Museum, Friends of the East Manatee Library at Lakewood Ranch, Historic Spanish Point, The Jewish Federation, League of Women Voters, Manatee Village Historical Park, Maryland Women’s Heritage Center, Moving Ethos Dance Company, National Women’s History Project, New College of Florida, The One Nine, Planned Parenthood, Realize Bradenton, Sarasota Contemporary Dance Company, Sarasota County Bar Association, Sarasota County Libraries, Sarasota Magazine, Sarasota Ministerial Association, U.S. Trust Bank of America, United States National Convention of UN Women, Venice Area Historical Society, West Coast Woman, and Women Journalists of Sarasota/Manatee. From the classroom to the spotlight, Florida Studio Theatre is proud to lead the charge in celebration of this centennial anniversary that changed America.
- Bringing together over 30 partnering organizations to create original artistic programming in recognition of the 100th Anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, the woman’s right to vote
- Bringing brand-new plays to the stage that speak to the rights of women
- Engaging diverse groups of artists and audiences to spark a community-wide conversation on how far we’ve come, and the opportunities ahead.
- Continuing the important work started by our foremothers one century ago
- Opening our doors for all organizations to join FST in creative partnership by creating their own suffragist-themed work
Florida Studio Theatre
1241 NORTH PALM AVE., SARASOTA, FL 34236
(941) 366-9000 | FLORIDASTUDIOTHEATRE.ORG