Serving the area for three generations, the Toale family business story began in 1912, when George Thacker established Sarasota’s first funeral home. F.W. Van Gilder later joined Thacker, and the funeral home became known as Thacker Van Gilder Funeral Home, operating at 40 N. Orange Ave. In 1948, the Toale family purchased the business, and siblings George, Jack and Catherine operated both the funeral home and Sarasota’s ambulance service.
In the 1960s, cousins Curt and David became part of the second generation of Toales to take over, strengthening the family business into what it is today. Now in its third generation—and still locally owned—Curt’s two daughters, Tiffany and Stephanie, are proud to continue the family tradition of serving the community with honesty, dignity, respect and compassion.
1912: The predecessor of Toale Brothers was founded in 1912 by George L. Thacker, Sarasota’s first undertaker, who then partnered with Floyd W. Van Gilder to form the Thacker & Van Gilder Funeral Home.
1948: The funeral home was purchased by brothers George and John “Jack” Toale along with sister Catherine, who also operated Sarasota’s ambulance service.
1981: Toale Brothers opened a Pre-Arrangement Center next to the Orange Avenue chapel, featuring the Trust 100 Pre-Planning Program—the first in Florida.
2019: Curt Toale, his two daughters, Tiffany Toale Holsbeke and Stephanie Toale Lynch, and son-in-law Matt Lynch continue to run the family business today.
40 N. Orange Ave., Sarasota, FL 34236