Cause: Human Services
Mission: Meals on Wheels of Sarasota delivers nutritious meals to persons in need in the Sarasota community who are unable to provide or prepare a meal for themselves in their home.
- Home Delivered Meals: We serve 500 meals a day, six days a week, about 180,000 meals a year.
- Community Funded: We receive no federal funding and count on our generous community to keep the wheels turning.
- Volunteer-based: All our meals are delivered by dedicated volunteers who want to make difference in their community.
- Added Service: Our volunteers not only deliver food, but provide important safety checks and a human connection.
- Full Service: We serve home bound seniors, veterans, children and families in need, regardless of ability to pay.
For thousands of people in Sarasota, Meals on Wheels of Sarasota, Inc. services help those with the greatest physical, social and economic needs who want to remain in their homes but cannot shop or prepare meals for themselves. All of our clients are physically or mentally challenged due to a variety of conditions, and range in age from 6 to 104. The heart healthy nutritious meal, friendly visit and safety check help them cope with three of the biggest threats of aging: hunger, isolation and loss of independence. The cost of a meal is $6, but no one is turned away due to inability to pay. In Sarasota since 1971, Meals on Wheels relies on the generosity of our community to provide its life-altering services.
SERVING MEALS. SAVING LIVES. DELIVERING HOPE.